Monday, July 30, 2012

{That Time I Tried to D.I.Y a Juju: Part 1}

We all love Juju hats, yes?  Well, I do.  I love everything about them - they have feathers and they are a fun addition to any wall.  I also love Louise's (from Table Tonic) juju's.


The only thing I dont like is the price tag.  Some prices range from a couple of hundred up to onwards of eight hundred dollars.  Now for me, that is a cheap holiday down to Brisbane for the weekend.  And well, I love holidays too, and would much rather spend that couple of hundred on a holiday.

So don't laugh, but I tried to make my own juju!  It ended up being a F.A.I.L. (as I expected!) I googled a few tutorials and ending up doing a mix up of the ones I could find.  So here goes:


I used a wooden round base, double sided tape and of course feathers.  For the end middle bit I had thrifted a bunched up feather thingy that was on top of a ladies hat.  I considered using glue, but thought that might have been a bit too messy and I wanted the feathers to be flufflyish and not hard and stuck together.  I worked the feathers around and around and around until I got to the middle bit.  This is where I glued the bunched up hat feathers.


And this is what it ended up looking like - F.A.I.L.

Now that I've slept on the idea overnight, I think I might have figured out another way.  So I will give this new way a try and will let you know if it FAILS too!!

Some good DIY Juju tutorials I did come across are:




4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so clearly 2011, as I had never seen or hear of them, but don't worry i have had plenty of F.A.I.L DIY attempts too!

Sydney Steenland said...

I'm trying to pull myself together...I haven't laughed as hard as that since my own DIY disaster! I'm sorry, but at least you've given it a go. My daughter is really cranky with me for laughing, she thinks it's great....actually it would look super cute in a kids room.

sar x

Unknown said...

I love the ambition and attempt. Sometimes the best memories are made in the act of doing something that doesn't work out perfectly. :)


Sending see beautiful thoughts your way!
http://seeabeautifulworld.blogspot.com/

Rosa @ Flutter Flutter said...

Thanks for mentioning my tutorial! :) I also sell them on Etsy for a fraction of the cost of the feather versions. :) http://www.etsy.com/shop/flutterflutterstudio